Heartburn or acidity is the combination of symptoms that result in the excessive production of acids in the stomach. To break down and dissolve the food, these stomach acids produce hydrochloric acid (HCL) naturally. Heartburn problems often occur when acidic foods, dehydration, alcohol, or blood pressure act as inducers to produce excessive acids inside the stomach.
The acid produced by the body naturally is used in decomposing the food, but sometimes, the food particles trigger enhanced production of acids to cause acidity.
What can you do to address your acidity or heartburn problem? Apart from having medication for the purpose you can perform yoga for heartburn and to cure acidity.
How yoga helps in curing heartburn?
Yoga is the safest way to cure heartburn. It helps in:
- Improving blood circulation in intestine and stomach to aid digestion
- Reducing the stress level
- Stimulating bowel movement
- Strengthening the digestive system
The question is: how can you perform some effective yoga poses to reduce heartburns?
Worry not! We have got you covered.
Yoga Poses for Heartburn and Acidity
Check out some of the most important yoga poses that you can practice to get rid of heartburn.
Halasana is a two syllableSanskrit word. ‘Hala’ means ‘plough’ and Asana means ‘to pose’.
You have to lie down on your back. Now, place your palm on the ground flat. You must keep your legs joined straight to the ground, while breathing normally. Now, raise both legs and take them right behind your head and exhale softly.
Keep the posture for a few minutes, and then come back to the original position.
Repeat the process three to five times, maintaining your breath at a normal level.
Effectiveness of Halasana
- This asana aids in improving digestion
- Makes your spinal cord more flexible, and also strengthens your back
- Can be a stress reliever
- Heals the menopause symptoms
Here, Ushtra means ‘camel’. The asana is best for back problems, nervous system, and blood circulation as well.
You have to bend backwards while sitting on your knees. Now, hold your ankles with your hands, pushing the waist forward. You must bend the head and neck backwards. Hold the posture for 5- 10 seconds while breathing normally. After a few seconds, come back to the original position, and repeat the posture as many times as you can.
Effectiveness of Ushtrasana
- The posture helps in increasing the size of the lungs and chest
- Makes your body more flexible
- Stimulates the esophagus to work properly
- Stimulates the thyroid glands to function properly
- Helps in curing problems related to neck, shoulders, and back
- Great to heal asthma
To do this yoga, you must sit on the floor keeping your back straight. Also, keep your legs folded, and place your right palm on the left leg and the left palm on the right leg. Take a deep breath exhaling with the force to keep your stomach deep inside. Keep the posture for thirty seconds. Do not inhale or exhale too fast, otherwise you may get tired.
Effectiveness of Kapalbhati pranayama
- Improves the respiratory function, increase the efficiency of the lungs
- Improves the reproductive system
- Cleanse the internal system by removing toxins when you exhale
- Effective for weight loss
Bhastrika means bellows in Sanskrit language.
To do this yoga, you must sit on a yoga mat and inhale and exhale through your nostrils. Repeat the process for 5 to 6 minutes.
Effectiveness of Bhastrika pranayama
- Improves blood circulation, ultimately helping to control heartburn problems
- Strengthens your lungs
- Relieves from hypertension and relaxes the body and mind
- It helps in reducing obesity, arthritis, neurological problems, migraines, headaches, and gastric problems
The Pavanamuktasanaposture cures digestion-related problems and is beneficial for those having poor digestion.
To do this yoga, you must first relax yourself. Now, place your body straight on the ground. You must breathe deeply, while lifting your legs and bend them with the help of your hands till your thighs touch your stomach. You must hold your knees, lock your hands, and try touching your knees with your nose. You must hold this position for 10 to 15 seconds and come back to the original position exhaling slowly. Repeat the steps 3 to 4 times.
Benefits of Pavanamuktasana
- A great pose to cure constipation and indigestion
- Gives you a flat stomach
- Strengthens your back muscles
- Beneficial for the gastrointestinal problems, arthritis pain, heart problems, and acidity.
You can try any of the poses mentioned above to curb your acidity problems, stress, and hypertension every day. Most probably, you will notice exceptional changes in your body while maintaining your fitness as well.
1 thought on “5 Most effective yoga poses for heartburn: Yoga poses for long term relief”
You could definitely see your enthusiasm in the work
you write. The world hopes for even more passionate writers such
as you who aren’t afraid to say how they believe. Always go
after your heart.