Tomato sauce, also known as a pasta sauce or marinara sauce, is the life of almost every savory food recipe. Be it spaghetti or beef chili for dinner, tomato sauce saves your day in either case. You can never make a bad dinner when you have pasta sauce available, so make sure you always have it in the fridge. But how long does pasta sauce last in the fridge?
According to Barilla, an unopened jar of pasta sauce can be stored at room temperature in a cupboard or a pantry while the opened jar can barely resist spoilage for a day or two. Hence, it must be used quickly to prevent it from going bad. In most cases, the spoilage of the sauce depends on the ingredients it contains.
Nicole Birmingham, the senior vice president of research and development of Rao’s Homemade, recommends that you must refrigerate every sauce that does not cook right away to maintain its taste and texture. Once you have opened it, then it must be refrigerated to prevent bacterial spoilage.
We’ve calculated how long pasta sauce lasts in the fridge and how you can improve its longevity.
For how long should we keep Pasta in the fridge
Typically, for cooked pasta, it is 3 – 5 days. Though we would recommend you eat your leftovers the very next day or within 1 – 2 days, after that it turns bad. The underlying reason for its spoilage is the containers we use are not airtight.
So, if you are planning to eat your leftover pasta for the next week, then store it in an airtight zip-top bag. This way you can work on its longevity and don’t forget to roll the extra air out before putting it in the freezer.
How long does Pasta Sauce last in the Fridge?
The answer to this can vary greatly, so we must consider a few factors to determine it:
- The type of pasta sauce (creamy or tomato).
- The time period for which it was stored in the fridge after opening.
- The refrigerated span of the meat is present in the sauce.
These conditions must be considered before using a pasta sauce and storing it in a refrigerator. There are cases when the sauce does not clearly show mold development and skips noticeable changes. To prevent such cases, we recommend you use the sauce within the given timeline.
What is the lifespan of tomato-based pasta sauce in the fridge?
- If not mixed with any kind of meat (cooked), tomato sauce lasts for 5 days up to a week.
- It will last for 3 – 4 days if mixed with the meat.
- Tomato-based sauce including original and spicy marinara will last for around 5 days if it is not premixed with meat.
- For the tomato sauce, including chili, spicy Italian and meat sauce premixed with meat; it is recommended to use within 3 days.
what is the lifespan of cream-based pasta sauce in the fridge?
- For cream-based pasta sauces, it is recommended to use them within a week, but not more than that. They can be stored in the refrigerator for an extended period of time due to the presence of ingredients such as heavy cream.
- Cream-based sauces such as alfredo, Cajun alfredo, pesto cream, beer cheese causes, and white clam can be treated similarly.
What is the best way to store Pasta Sauce in the fridge :
Most of the time, pasta comes already mixed with the sauce and sometimes you buy a separate bottle of pasta sauce to prepare a meal in a few days. In both cases, you must transfer it to an airtight container or a bag to prevent it from spoilage. In a regular go-to container, the sauce will barely last for a day in the fridge. Therefore, you must put it in a zip-top airtight bag in a freezer.
Quick dishes to make with pasta sauce
1) Potato Casserole
Take a casserole dish, mix some mashed potatoes, pasta sauce, and grated parmesan in it. Top the mixture off with more cheese and sauce (if you like) and finally bake it at 425 degrees for 30 minutes.
2) Zesty Dip
Take pasta sauce and sour cream in equal quantities in a bowl and mix well. Finally, add grated parmesan cheese along with oregano and ground pepper and your finger-licking dip is ready.
If you wish to enjoy your pasta sauce for a few more days, then follow the guidelines that we have suggested to you.